Tips On Staying Sober
One of the most important tips
on remaining sober after completing
any rehabilitation program is to
maintain a strong network of support.
Support can come from family, friends,
therapists, drug counselors, other
recovering addicts or any combination
thereof. Not to be underestimated,
an addict’s knowledge that
there are people supporting his
or her decision to live a drug-free
life is worth more than its weight
in gold. Without such support, many
addicts can easily fall back into
their old habits from a feeling
that they are struggling and suffering
with their addiction alone. But
while a strong sense of support
is key to a life of sobriety, there
are other tips to remember as well,
- Avoid hanging around with former friends who continue
to take drugs.
- Avoid situations and events where you know drugs or alcohol
will be available.
- Be prepared and learn how to deal with stressors in a
productive manner that does not include drugs.
- Try to keep your free time occupied with productive activities.
- Continue attending individual and group therapy sessions
such as Narcotics Anonymous or Alcoholics Anonymous on a
- Volunteer your time at a drug rehabilitation centre to
share your experiences with other recovering addicts.